It reminds me of when I refinished an upright piano that had seven coats of paint on it. I learned a lot about a piano with that fun little project. I also learned what NOT to do in removing paint from wood.
So, when my daughter bought a couch with a hide-a-bed in it with ambitions of re-upholstering it. I had my doubts, reservations, and a few giggles.
How could I say, "No" to that?
Using the fabric pieces as patterns to cut new ones was the best way, I figured. Re-use as much as possible, everything possible, to keep expenses down. I wrote down approximate material needs (which I think I way over figured, but guess it is better than under guestimating) and continued ripping away at the stitching, roping, seams and zippers. Yes, I still had my doubts and giggled a little.
My daughter still didn't have me convinced we could do this. I hoped it wasn't going to be one of those lessons learned the hard (and expensive) way.
We plan another couch-project-party this weekend, Father's Day. Her hubby helped pick out the fabric and...
Updates are to come...if we all survive.
Oh, to add to my mommy-do-list recently, my other daughter decided I could recover her LEATHER couch cushions that had begun to peal. Seeing what happened to her expensive leather couch, I learned one thing: Do not buy a leather couch unless you want it for only show and tell.
Now that gave me a couple more gray hairs! She picked out some chocolate flavored microfiber/swede-look-alike type fabric and when I finished the first two cushions, my confidence for my daughter's couch-ripping project was boosted quite a bit. I kept the newly covered cushions for a couple days to admire my handywork.
Stay tuned for updates and the "after" pictures...